SAM is using a systems approach to empower individuals in slums of Varanasi, India’s most revered city, by utilizing personal tools, supportive family, community involvement and working with institutions.
The goal of this program is to develop a replicable model for infectious diseases, control programs by systems approach using effective persuasion through community activists.
Its objectives are:
- To stop unhygienic practices and promote healthy behavior practices related to sanitation.
- Reduce Infants and maternal mortality.
- Increase skills and knowledge of urban slums community on Infection diseases and its serious consequences.
- Reduces the epidemic through increasing skills and knowledge.
- Increase awareness about their consequences and how they can be prevented.
- Investigate use of technology for social behavior change
The programs include improving health, nutrition status of men, women & children. It reduces the epidemic at the community level. The programs involve the following areas:
- Water borne disease (Diarrhea management).
- Acute Respiratory Infection management.
- Tuberculosis control program.
- Sanitation related disease such as Malaria and Dengue etc.
- Vector Borne disease Acute Encephalitis Syndrome (AES) and Japanese Encephalitis (J.E.) control.
- Hepatitis and measles management.
Added features include:
- Reach the unreached population.
- Develop a cadre of Change Agents called Sathya Sakshi.
- Convergence and coordination with public health programs.
- Use of technology in social behavior change.
- Community mobilization through change agents.
- Quality and coverage of services through capacity building of service providers and other stake holders.
- Scale up the program in the other urban slums of Varanasi city.
Program strategies include:
- Community mobilization.
- Strategic alliance with other NGOs and public health programs.
- Capacity building of service providers, Change Agents and other
- Improve skills and knowledge of urban slums community on
behaviorchange to follow the sanitationnorms and safe drinking water. Program area Name Srainandan Varanasi SAM is working One Slum Total Population coved by SAM 5000 Total household 1000 Male 2725 Female 2275 Activities has been done Total VHND Observed 40 Total open meeting conducted 50 Total Participants 610 Total Home visit 1000